Listen to this post!
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Harmony Bryant was only 26 years’ old.

On 16 August 2003, she was found in bushland near Ocean Drive in Bonny Hills, approximately 25 km south of Port Macquarie.

Harmony was taken to hospital with burns to 60% of her body. She also had a broken pelvis, a fractured wrist and a fractured left arm. Her Hyundai Excel was found on fire, approximately 200 metres from the roadway.

Image: The remains of Harmony’s car.

Evidence indicates that Harmony fell from a nearby cliff and was assisted back to her vehicle by an unknown person or persons. She died in hospital on Friday 19 September. Last month, the NSW Government and the NSW Police Force announced a million-dollar reward for information regarding the suspicious death.

Detectives established that Harmony had booked accommodation for two people at the Mid Pacific Caravan Park on Friday 15 August 2003, the day before the incident; however, despite public appeals for assistance, the second person has never been identified.

The matter was initially investigated by detectives from the Mid North Coast Police District before, at the Coroner’s request, it was referred to State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad under Strike Force Behl in 2007.

In March 2011 an inquest found that Harmony died from burns sustained at Bonny Hills, caused by a person or persons unknown. Despite extensive inquiries, no one has ever been charged in relation to her death.

Homicide Squad Commander Detective Superintendent Joe Doueihi hopes this reward will provide detectives with the information needed to make an arrest.

Image: Harmony Bryant.

“The reward is an opportunity for someone to help deliver justice and bring long-overdue closure to Harmony’s family,” Det Supt Doueihi said.

“Our investigation has established that Harmony was not alone that night. We are confident someone in the community has information that will help us identify the second person.”

Harmony’s mother, Karen, is grateful that the reward has been posted.

“Her father knew from the time he went to the site this was no accident,” she said.

“You go to bed every day, and you wake up every morning, nothing’s changed.

“It goes around your head like a video just playing, trying to find out who is responsible, and why.”

Harmony’s brother said the family is desperate for information.

“Harmony had five brothers, who are all still with us, and obviously, we’re a close-knit family, coming from the small country town of Kyogle.

“Mum’s not getting any younger, and she wants answers for obvious reasons.”

Anyone with information, no matter how small, is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Image: Inside the burnt-out car.

In every police jurisdiction in Australia, there are open and unsolved cases.

In an ongoing series, the APJ highlights different cases from all over the country in the hope of uncovering a clue – a lead that helps end the mystery and bring some form of closure for the victims’ loved ones.

It’s hoped the nationwide circulation of the APJ gives these cases broader coverage; someone, somewhere, may know something.

EDITOR’S NOTE: If you have a case that you believe may benefit from exposure in ‘Unsolved’ please email Bouda@apjl.com.au.

Share this article:

Become an APJ subscriber now

Want to read more posts like this one and stay up to date with the latest in Australian policing news? Subscribe to the Australian Police Journal.

What are you looking for?

Search
Browse by Topic

Login

Not a subscriber?

Warning

Some articles and images within the Australian Police Journal are extremely detailed and graphic, and may be distressing to some readers. By ticking the below box you are confirming that you acknowledge this warning, are over 18, and will not allow children who are under 18 to access the publication.